Today’s my last day at Geevor! My time here as flown by! It only seems like yesterday I arrived smartly dressed, bright eyed and bushy tailed and excited about the project ahead. The smart clothes went out the window straight away! (there is no place for shirts and heels at a mine on a cliff edge).
I have certainly left my mark at Geevor, mostly dents in doorways where I have banged my head so many times, earning my title as possibly the clumsiest person in the world. I’ve also brought my special brand of endless enthusiasm and my extreme tea and cake eating abilities to Geevor. Especially with the girls in the learning team, hopefully Claire S will carry on this tradition with style.
I’ve loved working here, it hasn’t been easy and yes I have ranted and raved, but I have thoroughly enjoyed the challenge and can not thank the University of Exeter, Geevor and KTP for giving me this opportunity. I have made some good friends and even more great colleagues, I have so many thank yous I’m not even going to begin, but I thought I’d leave you with some of my best bits….
- The Blog! I love it! it shows a side to Geevor that you don’t get to see when you visit! A behind the scenes look at the goings on at Geevor. It also gives you an insight into the sense of humour of the staff, Bill’s posts make me laugh so much.
- Flickr and Twitter– brilliant tools that are encouraging Geevor to interact with the outside world, and for you guys to interact with us! Some of the photos on the Geevor Flickr group are truly inspirational.
- Banging my head on one of the new cases in the Hard Rock Museum a week before the grand opening and getting concussion. Nick T being more concerned that I’d got blood on the case, before tending to the egg shaped lump on my head and taking me to hospital.
- Bringing an ethos of ‘tea?’ to the learning team. What on earth did you do without me and tea?
- My endless enthusiasm, no matter what gets thrown my way. I am excited by everything and love the potential that Geevor has. I hope this pro active and opportunistic mentality sticks with Geevor as they go from Strength to Strength.
- And finally, the website! It was hard going and I’ve done my best with the resources and time available! Its not bad for someone with no web experience what so ever! Dress the miner seems to be going down well, and my favourite is the whoosy image thing (lightbox that does cool things to see the image better) when you click on an image thumbnail. As I said in a previous post, there are so many things I would like to develop and improve on, but I now leave it in Geevor’s capable hands and look forward to watching it grow. I hope you like it.
And where am I going? What am I doing next?
Moving back to London that’s what!? After two years in idyllic Penzance, I’m moving back to the big city, back to UCL! Im gong to be working on a project call Linksphere looking at virtual learning environments and social media. I get to geek out basically, looking at how/if academics are using blogs, twitter, wikis and facebook. Yes I am a nerdosaurs. I’m very excited about it. but it doesn’t mean I will forget about Geevor. .. I’ll be keeping my eye on you….
if you are interested in my exploits you can find out more on my new blog, from one blog to another.
Claire signing off.